Vatican, the word's source (Massi, Compendious description of the museums of ancient sculpture, Greek and Roman, in the Vatican Palace, 2nd ed., 1882)

Text: "So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration." Revelation 17:3-6

Quote:

   The Vatican Hill takes its name from the Latin word Vaticanus, a vaticiniis ferendis, in allusion to the oracles or Vaticinia which were anciently delivered here.

Massi, Ercole G., Compendious description of the museums of ancient sculpture, Greek and Roman, in the Vatican Palace; with the addition of the Etruscan and Egyptian museums, of the tapestries by Raphael, and the chorographical maps of Italy, 2nd ed., enlrgd. & impr., Rome: Printing Establishment Morini, 1882, p. 5.

Online Source: https://books.google.ca/books?id=_qUVAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Book Images:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The open or incomplete pentagram (Goethe; Taylor, tr., Faust: a Tragedy, 1889)

Jesuit's Oath (Dowling, The history of Romanism, 1845)

Reverend no. 27's story (Crowley, Romanism a menace to the nation, 50th thousand,1912)