Reverend no. 27's story (Crowley, Romanism a menace to the nation, 50th thousand,1912)

Text: "Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women..." Daniel 11:37 "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry..." 1 Timothy 4:1-3

Quote:


Rev. No. 27.   A Preference for Black.

   He was caught by officers in citizen's clothes in a city alley, at midnight, while having lascivious relations with a negress. As the officers came toward them they separated, he going toward the west and she toward the east. One officer captured her and held her. The other officer caught the priest, who had a handkerchief around his neck to conceal his Roman collar. The officer asked the priest to come with him to where his brother officer was holding the negress, saying: "That negro wench may have robbed you, and now is the time to get your money if she has; you better come back and see." The priest swore at the officer and said: "Who are you?" "I am a police officer," was the reply. "Show me your star," commanded the priest. The officer did so. "I doubt that you are an officer; I will go only with a uniformed officer," said Rev. No. 27. The detective whistled, and a uniformed officer immediately appeared. The priest refused then to go at all, still swearing. The officers grabbed the priest's arms, twisted them backwards and forced him to go to where the negress was being held. A second uniformed officer appeared and asked: "Isn't he a priest?" One of the detectives replied: "I think so." When they got the priest to where the negress was being held the detective in charge of her said: "My God! you hold this one, and let me hold him." This exchange was made, and the detective took the priest aside and said: "My God! Father, what has come over you? what is the matter with you?" The priest replied: "What in h— do you mean? Do you take me for a d—— priest?" Said the detective: "Father, I am sorry to take you for what you really are not but what the people suppose you to be." The priest then swore and said he had sufficient influence to get them all removed and he would do business with them and get their stars taken away from them on the following day. Said the detective: "If you don't go home quietly, Father, I will tell them who and what you are. My God! Father, I live in your parish, I am sorry to say." Then the priest said: "For the honor of God let me go." The officer said: "You had better go and go quickly; take the one-thirty car," and he released him and the priest hurried away. The negress was taken in a patrol wagon to a station where she was fined in the morning for her misconduct of the night before with the priest. The priest went home, and at 10 o'clock that morning celebrated Requiem High Mass over the remains of a parishioner, and he discoursed eloquently upon the necessity of living a pure and holy life, much to the disgust of the wife of one of the detectives who had been informed of the celebrant's midnight love affair with the colored lady. A few nights after the arrest of the negress the officers met her on the streets while she was pursuing her avocation, and talked with her about her relations with the priest. They wanted to find out if she knew who and what he really was. They said to her: "That man's wife will tear the wool off your head if she finds out about your doings with her husband." Said she: "Why, he's got no wife; he's a Catholic priest!" "What?" said the officers, "what do you mean?" Said she: "Why, he's my bo'; I had a bo' of culur, but I fired him las' September an' ever since that priest has bin my bo'; he calls himself Jack McCarthy, but I know that isn't his right name; I could find his right name if I wanted to; he's a priest sure enuf, and he spends one night every week with me; why, I luv him, he's a cracker-jack."

Crowley, Jeremiah J., Romanism a menace to the nation (a new and original work) together with my former book "The parochial school, a curse to the church, a menace to the nation" (two books in one): a searchlight on the papal system startling charges against individuals in the hierarchy made and filed by the author and a score of prominent priests—with photographic proofs and illustrations, 50th thousand, Aurora, Missouri: The Menace Publishing Co. [, c1912], pp. 449-450.

Online Source: archive.org/details/romanismmenaceto00crowiala

Book Images:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The open or incomplete pentagram (Goethe; Taylor, tr., Faust: a Tragedy, 1889)

The Jesuits and the French Revolution (Steinmetz, Andrew, History of the Jesuits, 3 vols., 1848, vol. 3)

The church against marriage...