The Catholic church, a woman (Review and Herald Publishing Association, Source book for Bible students, 1922, [1922])
Text: "For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." 2 Corinthians 11:2,3 ; "...and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH." Revelation 17:3-5
Quote:
Babylon, Cup of.— In 1825, on the occasion of the jubilee, Pope Leo XII struck a medal, bearing on the one side his own image, and on the other that of the Church of Rome symbolized as a "woman," holding in her left hand a cross and in her right a cup, with the legend around her, "Sedet super universum" (The whole world is her seat).— "The Two Babylons," Rev. Alexander Hislop, p. 6. London: S. W. Partridge & Co., 1907.
[Image of a "MEDAL Struck by Pope Leo XII in 1825"]
Review and Herald Publishing Association, Source book for Bible students; containing valuable quotations relating to the history, doctrines, and prophecies of the Scriptures, 1922, Washington, D.C.; South Bend, Ind.; Peekskill, N. Y.: Review and Herald Publishing Association, [1922], p. 71.
Online Source: https://archive.org/details/sourcebookforbib00revi
Book Images:




Comments
Post a Comment