Yahweh / Jehovah - "I AM THAT I AM" (Mackey, An encyclopaedia of freemasonry and its kindred sciences, 1874)
Text: "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." Exodus 3:14; "And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the Lord:" Exodus 6:2
Quote:
Jehovah. [...]
[...] In Hebrew it consists of four letters, יהוה, [...]
This Ineffable name is derived from the substantive verb היה, hayah, to be; and combining, as it does, in its formation the present, past, and future significations of the verb, it is considered as designating God in his immutable and eternal existence. [...]
In the third chapter of that book, when Moses asks of God what is his name, he replies "I Am that I Am; and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you," and he adds, "this is my name forever." Now, the Hebrew word I AM is אהיה, Ehyeh. But as Mendelsohn has correctly observed, there is no essential difference between אהיה, in the sixth chapter and יהוה in the third, the former being the first person singular, and the latter the third person of the same verb, (the future used in the present sense of the verb to be;) [...]
Mackey, Albert Gallatin, An encyclopaedia of freemasonry and its kindred sciences: comprising the whole range of arts, sciences and literature as connected with the institution, Philadelphia: Moss & Company, 1874, pp. 376,377.
Online Source: archive.org/details/encyclopaediaoff00mackrich
Book Images:







Comments
Post a Comment