Yahweh / Jehovah - "I AM THAT I AM" (Kitto; Alexander, A cyclopaedia of Biblical literature orig. ed. by Kitto, 3rd ed., 1866, vol. 2)

Text: "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." Exodus 3:14; "And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the Lord:" Exodus 6:2

Quote:

   1. Etymology of the word.---Passing over some fantastic and baseless conjectures on this head, we go at once to the passage in which we have what was undoubtedly regarded by the ancient Hebrews as the etymon of the word, Exod. iii. 14. In reply to the request of Moses that God would announce to him his name, 'God said unto Moses, I am that I am (אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה); and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I am hath sent me unto you.' Again, in ch. vi. 2, we read, 'And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am Jehovah (יהוה).' According to this the word must be referred to the substantive verb היה, of which the earlier form was הוה; and of this יהוה would be the regular form of the third person sing. masc. of the future. In this case the punctuation would regularly be יַהְוֶה Yih'veh, or mn Yeheveh; and such is regarded by some as the original and proper pronunciation of the word. [...]

Kitto, John; Alexander, William Lindsay, A cyclopaedia of Biblical literature originally edited by John Kitto, 3rd ed., grtly. enlr. & impr., Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott and Co., 1866, vol. 2, p. 482.

Online Source: https://archive.org/details/binder2_20191014

Book Images:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The open or incomplete pentagram (Goethe; Taylor, tr., Faust: a Tragedy, 1889)

Jesuit's Oath (Dowling, The history of Romanism, 1845)

Reverend no. 27's story (Crowley, Romanism a menace to the nation, 50th thousand,1912)