Clovis, France, and Rome (Maimbourg, The History of Arianism, 1729, vol. 2)

Text: "After this I saw in the night visions, and behold a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, and strong exceedingly; and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with the feet of it: and it was diverse from all the beasts that were before it; and it had ten horns. I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns plucked up by the roots: and, behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things." Daniel 7:7,8

Quote:

   I believe, that after these circumstances of Clovis's conversion and babtisın have appeared, it will not be taken amiss, if I demand of the present age and of posterity, that they would do me justice upon that French writer, who has dared to question, whether Clovis at his conversion became a Catholick, or an Arian, as was the king of the Visigoths, and of Burgundy, whose niece he had married. [...] so great a prince, who acquired for his successors the glorious title of most christian, and eldest son of the church, by having been the first Christian and Catholick king.

Maimbourg, Louis, The History of Arianism; shewing its influence upon civil affairs, and the causes of the desolation of the Roman Empire, London: Printed by W. Roberts, 1729, vol. 2, p. 204.

Online Source: archive.org/details/historyofarianis02maim

Book Images:

Comments